Closure - Close
STEPS OF CLOSURE PHASE
OFFICIAL SIGNATURE OF THE DELIVERABLES
- Deliverables can be completed, but formal acceptance is needed to close the project. Note: During the kickoff meeting (or before), Sponsor and stakeholders have confirmed how and who will give final approval.
- All contractual agreements (made at the beginning of the project) must be closed.
- All pending payments must be finalized.
RESOURCES ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE
- Projects are temporary initiatives. The project team can now be relieved of their responsibilities and roles.
- The responsibilities of the project tasks have already ended. This includes the PM.
- The PM must formally communicate that the project has ended.
- The projects are unique. The product, work and/or combination of people, circumstances and the problems encountered always bring something new.
- The PM needs to organize a meeting with all the key stakeholders to document: What worked well? What didn’t work well? How to overcome such a challenge or Theme the next time we do a similar project?
- Lessons learned are a key source of information and knowledge for a Project Manager.
- Projects are complex initiatives. People from various departments, backgrounds, and cultures are brought together to work toward a common goal.
- Working on new activities with new people and with time constraints always takes a lot of energy.
People need to be explicitly congratulated and recognized.